Thursday, February 16, 2006

Janica, shaman

After winning the silver, Ivica admitted: "Janica came to the finish and hug me tight, she was crying more than I was. She was a little bit sick today but she told me that she gave me all her strength. It was wonderful.” I was obviously just a little off in my statements that Janica could beat the men, too, and get 10 gold medals. She isn't yet good enough for gold in the men's events, just silver. On the other hand, maybe some of her strength was lost in the transfer of powers. If she could just cut to the chase, and not bother with Ivica, maybe she could win gold.

I knew the night before that Janica would be in trouble for her downhill run when I saw her at Ivica's race. I knew she had been sick, and thought she had no business being out in the cold watching Ivica. She was just being stubborn.

Today's goat horns goes to Apolo Anton Ohno's girlfriend, Allison Baver. With a chance to qualify for the Women's short track final...she STOPS SKATING because she's afraid she'll bump into someone. Apparently choking is contageous. Allison, Allison...first off, that helmet's on your head for a reason. Second, being AAO's girlfriend, you should have plenty of opportunities to see skaters wipe out and walk away uscathed. Finally, if you were afraid of being DQ'ed, you were not going to qualify anyway. I just thought you were a few sequins short of a figure skating outfit when you said that AAO was the best skater in the world. After this performance, I'm sure.

NFL GM's are going to love Jeremy Bloom's comments after pulling a Baver: "I knew I had made a mistake," he said, referring to his run. "I came here to accomplish my goals. I didn't come here to win any certain color medals. I was so close, you know." If your goal was to underperform, to quote our Commander-in-Chief, Mission Accomplished. Trying hard really goes over well in the NFL. The Bears better not pick this guy.

Wednesday's medals.
Gold: Ante Kostelc - he's obviously flipped all the right switches in the past, so I'm not going to doubt him. Ivica's silver and this decision makes me think that CroSki has their game faces on.
Silver: Micheala Dorfmeister - when I saw her run, I was like "game over". It was just like Janica's race when we were in Park City in 2002. Now maybe she can get those teeth cleaned.
Bronze: Deborah Dawson (Toby Dawson's mom) - THAT's how you are supposed to act when your kid gets a medal. You raised to Toby to think: "Go big or go home." Unlike most of the rest of the U.S. team.
Honorable Mention: Lindsey Kildow. If she can wring a medal out of these games, she's the new and improved Picabo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Claude said...

I like Jeremy Bloom, but the NFL team that drafts him is stupid. He was only good at returning kicks and that was against the likes of Baylor and Kansas!

J'apprecies Jeremy Bloom, mais l'eqipe de NFL que choissent lui est stupide. Il etait seulement bon pour le retour des bottons et il etait contre les equipes comme Baylor et Kansas!

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home